Today the nation remembers one of the most devastating acts of aggression and terrorism directed towards America. I totally remember what I was doing when the planes hit the towers. Sit ups. It was just an ordinary day. I was doing sit ups complaining to myself how my pooch seems to never go completely away. In the next room Anne was sleeping in. Once the events started to unfold, I ran into her room, woke her up, and for the rest of the day we (Anne, Oracle, and Willie the dog) sat on her bed in HORROR. Complete HORROR. We were in Washington DC what seems like hours before this event took place actually TALKING about if terrorists attacked America where would they strike. Eerily this conversation took place as we were passing by the Pentagon. To this day I wonder if somehow. Someway. I picked up on the energy of what was about to happen. I had no concrete idea of how it WOULD happen but down to the exact places I was spot on. Although the ex kept trying to say Texas would be a target (Anne and I tried to explain to him nobody wants Texas but Texans). Then mere hours later Anne and I were safely at home living our normal lives while so many people lost theirs.
What I like to focus on is how for a few weeks, Americans stopped focusing on race. People came together. Neighbors checked on each other. I was so proud to be an American during this time because it was a glimpse of what we COULD be as a nation if we stopped focusing on what divides us and concentrate on what unifies us. We are ALL Americans first. We should stand strong TOGETHER.
It is almost the 10 year mark for September 11th. In those years a lot has changed. Some things have stayed the same. I would like to honor the people who are no longer with us with a list of things we as people who are still here need to focus on. Not social-economical status, or race, or religion.. No. When it all comes down to it, these things are irrelevant. (some of these ideas are poached)
Focus on Living Your Life to the Fullest
- When you lose, don't lose the lesson lest you repeat it again and again until you get it.
- Respect yourself, Respect others, Responsibility for all of your actions.
- Not getting what you want can be actually a good thing.
- Don't let a small fissure ruin a great friendship.
- Talk to your family often no matter how much you think they get on your nerves. Once they are gone, they are gone forever. You can't get time back.
- When you make a mistake, instead of complaining, use that energy to correct it.
- Spend time alone each day. It helps you clear your thoughts. You can differentiate what you think vs what people around you think.
- Open your heart to change, yet do not let go of your values.
- Silence is sometimes the best answer.
- Once a year go someplace you have never gone before.
- Memories are priceless, try to increase the good ones and do not let the bad ones rule your thoughts.
- The simplest things will bring you the most joy.
- Listen more than you speak, you will learn a lot that way.
- Never underestimate the power of a healthy diet, daily exercise, water, adequate rest, sunshine, and the love of people around you.
- You don't have to follow all the things on this list. Just most of them cuz I said so!