We are on the threshold of Spring.. Like I said before this is my year and a lot of the old ghosts from 2010 are being exercised. One place in my home that holds major energy is my closet.

Clothes holds memories.. All you have to do is look at a sweater or a dress and memories come rushing to you like a tsunami. Good memories, bad memories, passionate ones, apathetic ones... Memories.. All held in the fibers of your clothing. Clothes reflect our mood or where we are emotionally in life at the time. Colors. Red passion.. Pink love.. Blue trustworthy.. Green peacefulness.. Gray apathy.. Black trying to look thinner.. The feel of leather, lace, silk, satin, denim, charmuse, cotton invoke emotions.. Feelings.. Clothes touch so many of our senses. My love affair with clothes started with working for


I had the most glamorous manager. She was the ultimate taste-maker in my eyes. Everything about her was exotic and refined, even her name bespoke of elegant mystery. I would reveal her cool ass name because I want to respect her privacy. Oddly enough she has moved to West Virginia and is farming and raising chickens. Who would have known the fashionable lady clad in St. John suits and diamonds the size of grapes would be digging in the dirt.

With time and experience (a better paycheck) I started shopping here

and here



Flash forward to the Oracle at the Nut Hut.. All I wear are sweats and tennis shoes. No need for sky high heels or luxurious silks. Although I spend the majority of my time dressed down, I still dress like I used to when I work in the jewelry department a few hours a week.  I suppose that balance keeps me sane. I might do restraint holds on kids but I am still a glamanista. After all I AM wearing a Gucci watch while I am holding them down.

Well.. It is time to lighten my load. I have been carting around clothes that are too small for years.. I had the hope upon hope that I would one day fit back into them. I mean come on. Channel skirts and Gucci sweaters NEVER go out of style. Buuuut.. I need to be realistic. I am NEVER going to be a size 2 again.. And until I get out of this unhappy rut (IE get out of the nut hut) I am never going to lose weight. When I am miserable I am fat.. When I am happy I am thin. Time to let go of the past. Time for the clothes to go.

I have to say cleaning out my closet has been extremely therapeutic for me. I've laughed, I've cried, I've reminisced.. Some stuff still have the tags on them so I wonder why the hell did I buy it? All of it is going to the Goodwill.. I thought about taking it to a resale shop but I really really believe in my heart the Goodwill is the place for these clothes. They will be well appreciated. They will once again be loved as I loved them. I am giving them a chance at a new life rather than eternity in the catacombs of my closet.

I am not finished yet, but each bag of clothes, shoes, coats, and accessories I pull out makes me feel lighter.. Hopeful.. Connected to myself in a way I have been disconnected in years. Thanks for the memories clothes! But I won't need to rely on you so heavily in the future. I am spending less time on who I was and what I could have been and focusing on who I am and who I am going to be.

FIN

Comments (2)

On March 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM , Anonymous said...

awesome, just pure awesome

 
On March 6, 2011 at 3:46 AM , BlackPowerBunny said...

I love this! More people need to move from the past into a brighter future. Yes, we need to recognize the past, but it should stop there. We learn from it and craft a better tomorrow. Kudos!