Getting to know Frasier has been a process. We have been together for three weeks and boy oh boy this puppy is serving as birth control. It has been over 15 years since I've had a puppy and he is making me earn my stripes. Things I took for granted with Willie, I have to teach Frasier. The first time I tried to walk him on a leash he sat his rump down and I ended up dragging him through Pet Smart. I was mildly embarrassed as I attempted to shop with a little dog screeching and fighting me the entire time. However, I used psychology and refused to give in and pick him up. I did not want to set the precept that if he protested enough I would give in to his wishes. We have been "walking" on the leash daily and it seems he has gotten used to it. Unlike Willie, he seems to be rather unimpressed with taking a daily walk. I am still stunned. Frasier is a different dog with a completely different personality which I cognitively understand, however I expected him to waltz in and take the place of my beloved Willie without any issues. That was foolish of me by far.


So Frasier the Boston Terrier puppy is not Willie the Springer Spaniel and I am slowly letting go of the expectation Frasier is the new Willie. Frasier is talkative. He yips, mews, barks, and growls his every thought. Frasier doesn't mind eating dry dog food. He actually enjoys it. (I am already redirecting the extra money I spent on canned dog food to shoes and handbags) Frasier has toys galore. Upstairs toys. Downstairs toys. Outside toys. They are kept in various baskets and as soon as I put them up, he drags them out and scatters them all over the place. My OCD is in overdrive. Frasier seems to find anything and everything I do NOT want him to have. Rubber bands, plastic bottle caps, straws, ketchup packets, lost earrings, necklaces, shoes, socks, you name it. I spend a great portion of my day redirecting him by removing his pirate treasure from his mouth and replacing it with one of his toys. Frasier is a hellion when you give him a bath. He fought me so hard during his bath (which is going to just have to get used to) that afterwards we both had a nap. I also had 2 shots of Jack Daniels to calm my nerves. Frasier is a puppy so just like a baby, he is discovering the world through his mouth. I am finding bite marks on EVERYTHING! Frasier also needs to go out many many many times a day, yet still there are accidents in the house. I have already used up a giant bottle of Nature's Miracles. I admit he is a lot of work, but I am loving (most of the time) working with him. The look of pure joy on his face when I get home, chasing him around the room with his toys, taking his walk/drags daily, dancing with him, are just a few of the many many delights of having the puppy. Each day he does something which makes me laugh like a loon. I am grateful for Frasier coming into my life however, he will never ever take the place of Willie, and now I know not to expect him to.
FIN

Comments (2)

On January 19, 2010 at 2:45 PM , Ashley said...

He's so stinking cute!!!

 
On January 29, 2010 at 8:25 AM , Michelle said...

Frasier if too adorable! Love him!

And yes all dogs are so different and unique! Even if you have a multi-dog household they still have unique personalities.