Wedding and engagement rings are so wonderful. They bring you joy, pride, and a sense of belonging.. That is... If you are happily married. The MOMENT you decide the marriage is not for you, or get divorced.. The rings are.. Basically worthless. Diamonds are a girl's best friend, however on the resale market.. They can be as big of a disappointment as the failed marriage. Almost but not quite. Hours were spent scouring jewelry stores for the most perfect rings. I can remember the day clearly when my friend, my ex, and I found my Ritani "endless love" engagement ring and matching eternity wedding band. It was love at first sight. Strangely enough I did not have the same reaction when I first met my ex. That should have been clue enough but I digress... So. Here were are. Years later. My 3.60 karats worth of platinum set best friends are worthless to me. I never wear the rings. NEVER. As much as I like ice, I keep them locked away in the safe. The only time they see the light of day is when I want to punk someone OR I go shopping at Sacks or Nordstrom and want good service. Other than that.. I have no desire to wear my former besties.










The economy sucks! Pawn shops are overrun with diamonds. People are unloading their assets left and right for the cold hard cash. This puts ex wives at a disadvantage. The value of their rings has dropped faster than R. Allen Stanford's list of close friends. I would rather hold on to my worthless rings than pawn them for a fraction of what they are truly worth.




In a perfect world, all ex wives could take their rings and magically convert them into something they really want. If I had a magic wand, I would turn my Ritani rings into David Yurman beauties! That way I wouldn't be screwed over twice (literally and figuratively). I would actually get at least ONE thing out of this Ponzi Scheme of a marriage that doesn't piss me off.



I have checked all sorts of websites for ways to unload my rings and none have met to my satisfaction of a good solution. Rings are not selling as fast as you would think they should considering the prices are akin to fire sale frenzy. The websites do have catchy names like;










I feel for the people who have posted rings on this site. We are all in the same boat. Sucky economy stuck with our assets frozen.


Comments (2)

On August 2, 2009 at 6:00 PM , Ari said...

Awww I hear ya. I got lucky and sold my rings to a cousin that was getting married (he totally redid them) and I took some of the money I got from it and bought myself a pretty ring from Tiffanys. :)

 
On August 3, 2009 at 10:28 AM , Carrie said...

That's so unfortunate! The rings are gorgeous, and I love platinum... I would definitely recommend waiting to trade them in for what they're actually worth and upgrading to a platinum right-hand ring! That way you can have an enduring and classic symbol of your love for yourself :).