I was at work the other night and mentioned I had a crush on a co worker who wasn't the same race as I was. BOY OH HOWDY! The flood gates opened and I was verbally lashed and made to feel like a traitor for being attracted to him. (sidebar he is tall, scruffy in a sexy way, in excellent shape, and handsome as all get out)  When people get all up in arms about interracial dating I wonder about their personal lives. How empty they must be to be so overly concerned about what someone else is doing. WHO THE HELL CARES? Handsome is handsome. Smart is smart. No particular race dominion over these traits.  This rant is brought to you due to working with a slew of people who are so very against interracial dating, I was rendered speechless. If it is not for you, it is not for you. However, you may not hold the rest of society to your personal standards and expectations. What makes it worse is when you pontificate your vile remarks in mixed company without knowing without a 100% shadow of a doubt where everyone stands. The moment you walk away, we are trashing you. Believe it. I am pretty ambiguous about what race I am on twitter as well as my blog however, I am a minority. Every day I walk the tightrope of being a minority in a majority ruled society. Many times dominant culture doesn't reflect my personal views however I do not feel as if it is my right to tell people they are wrong. What hurts me most is when other minorities spew vile stereotypes about other minorities. As if they themselves seemed to have conveniently forgotten what it is like to be judged immediately on a misguided stereotype. When it comes to dating, I am like Jessie Jackson's Rainbow Coalition. I doubt there is a country that hasn't been "visited" by me. In all of this exploration, I learned a lot. Opened my eyes more. Dispelled firmly held stereotypes. Became a better person. Before the phrase "I would never date ______" leaves your lips, take time out and think about who you are speaking to. More than likely, they have or are currently dating the person you are so quick to exclude in your small thinking, boxed in, homogeneous life. If I didn't work with said hottie co worker.. He would have been another flag on my map of must have men.  He is absolutely delicious no matter what race he is.
FIN

Comments (2)

On January 31, 2010 at 1:01 PM , Ashley said...

Was it people of your race or the guy's race that made the comments?

 
On February 18, 2011 at 3:23 PM , Inter Racial Dating said...

I certainly agree, does anyone know a good site for ”inter racial dating”? any help will very much appreciated...